15525 Mendota Avenue, P.O. Box 416, Redby, MN 56670

Main: 218.679.3350 ┃ Toll Free: 888.404.0686 ┃ Fax: 218.679.4317






What is the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP)?

The Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program, SNAP, formerly known as Food Stamps, is a program that helps Minnesotans with low incomes get the food they need for nutritious and well-balanced meals.

This program is not intended to meet all of your household's food needs but instead is a supplement and provides support to help stretch your household food budget.

Access to Benefits

  • Food benefits are issued by Electronic Benefit Transfer (EBT) cards that are similar to debit cards

  • Cards allow food purchases from authorized grocers, farmers markets and many other retailers where SNAP is accepted; look for "SNAP Accepted" sticker

Eligibility Requirements

  • Meet income guidelines based on household size including any earned and/or unearned income


To stay updated on the income guideline chart, click here to view the MN Department of Human Services website.

To Apply

You can apply by mail, in person or online.

  • Online at MNbenefits

  • Paper option: Oshkiimaajitahdah, Redby & Bemidji locations

Please call our office to request an application to be mailed or faxed, if needed, email is an option

If you have questions or need assistance please give us a call! 

Required Documents

Applicants must submit the following documents:

  • Combined Application Form

  • Identification - not limited to photo

  • Social security number(s) –for each individual listed on the application

  • Proof of income – pay stubs from earned income, award letters for unearned income

  • Proof of housing costs, if any, to allow deductions

Contact information

By phone at 218-679-3350, Bemijigamaag office at 218-444-2883 or Toll free at 888-404-0686

By email at rlsnap@redlakenation.org

Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)

  • How does SNAP work?

 You'll get an EBT (Electronic Benefit Transfer) card that looks like a credit or debit card. Every month, it's filled up with money for you to buy food at places that accept SNAP, such as grocery stores. (You cannot use your card to buy items other than food.)

  • If I'm approved for SNAP, how much money will I get each month on my card?

 It depends on your income, expenses and the number of people who live with you. The average monthly benefit amount per person in Minnesota is $109.

  • Who is eligible for SNAP?

 Lots of poeple, including families, seniors, single adults, kids and immigrant groups. You qualify based on the number of people in your house  and your household's total income. This includes money from jobs, self-employment, child support and Social Security Income. A specialist in  your community can walk you through what income will be counted. Get in touch with a specialist today to get started.

  • Do I have to be a U.S. citizen to get help from SNAP?

 U.S. citizens and some people who are not U.S. citizens, including certain immigrants, can get SNAP. If some people in your household have  acceptable immigration status, you can apply for just them. Get in touch with a specialist in your community today to get more details.

  • What is the application process like?

 The application asks you about everyone who lives with you, your combined income and expenses. You can apply right away, however you will  need to share copies of your ID, income statements, proof of expenses (i.e. housing) and other items before your application can be  processed. Connect with a specialist today for help with your application. Specialists are here to make it easy and can tell you exactly what  paperwork you need to submit. 

  • How long does it take to get approved?

 You'll usually find out if you are eligible for SNAP within a month. In cases of emergency, you may qualify immediately.

  • How do I get my EBT card?

 Upon approval, you will receive your EBT card and a letter stating how much money will be put on your card each month. Money not spent  during the month will carry over to the next month. You have up to one year to use it.

  • Where can I use my EBT card?

 EBT is accepted at most retailers and stores that sell food and groceries that you take to eat at home. Many farmers markets and farm vendors  accept EBT cards. You can even use it to order groceries online with some retailers.

  • Does qualifying for SNAP qualify me for other programs?

 It might! Qualifying for SNAP may also qualify you for:

-   Low Income Home Energy Assistance Program

-   Women, Infants and Children Program (WIC)

-   Subsidized housing

-   Reduced or zero costs for sports and other after-school activities

-   Free and reduced school meal program

-   Telephone discount programs

-   Child Care Assistance Program

-   SNAP Education and other community resources.

  • What if I want to apply on my own?

 Since some people find the application process to be complicated, we strongly suggest working with a specialist. However, you can always  apply on your own. 

One option is via the online application MNbenefits. You will need to create a user account before you can get started.

Another option is to complete a paper application by downloading the application and mailing it to the county or tribal agency where you live.

USDA Nondiscrimination Statement

In accordance with federal civil rights law and U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) civil rights regulations and policies, this institution is prohibited from discriminating on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex (including gender identity and sexual orientation), religious creed, disability, age, political beliefs, or reprisal or retaliation for prior civil rights activity.

Program information may be made available in languages other than English. Persons with disabilities who require alternative means of communication to obtain program information (e.g., Braille, large print, audiotape, American Sign Language), should contact the agency (state or local) where they applied for benefits. Individuals who are deaf, hard of hearing or have speech disabilities may contact USDA through Federal Relay Service at (800) 877-8339.

To file a program discrimination complaint, a Complaintant should complete a Form AD-3027, USDA Program Discrimination Complaint Form which can be obtained online at: https://www.usda.gov/sites/default/files/documents/ad-3027.pdf, from any USDA office, by calling (833) 620-1071, or by writing a letter addressed to USDA. The letter must contain the complaintant's name, address, telephone number, and a written description of the alleged discriminatory action in sufficient detail to inform the Assistant Secretary for Civil Rights (ASCR) about the nature and date of an alleged civil rights violation. The completed AD-3027 form or letter must be submitted to:

    1.    Mail:

            Food and Nutrition Service, USDA

            1320 Braddock Place, Room 334

            Alexandria, VA 22314; or

    2.    Fax:

            (833) 256-1665 or (202) 690-7442; or

    3.    Email:


This institution is an equal opportunity provider. 


Copyright © 2023 Oshkiimaajitahdah - All Rights Reserved.